cvs commit: ports/games/8kingdoms Makefile ports/misc/airoflash Makefile ports/graphics/autopano-sift Makefile ports/x11/avant-window-navigator-xfce4 Makefile ports/lang/boo Makefile ports/x11/cl-clx-sbcl Makefile ports/palm/coldsync ...

Pietro Cerutti gahr at FreeBSD.org
Tue Apr 10 15:30:33 UTC 2012

On 2012-Apr-10, 17:17, Mel Flynn wrote:
> On 4/10/2012 16:47, Pietro Cerutti wrote:

> >> In my point of view, no make sense have a bunch of ports that actually
> >> doesn't works or because there is a fetch problem or even it is set as
> >> BROKEN. Who never was upset when need and find a port but it is BROKEN for
> >> some reason, In my view, have a port BROKEN or haven't it, is the same. Of
> >> course, I mean when a port is BROKEN for all plataforms as well as for all
> >> FreeBSD version.
> >
> > I agree on that.
> >

> >> I believe set it as DEPRECATED is a good way to make the maintainer take
> >> attention to fix it soon as possible, due he has put effort to insert this
> >> software on the ports tree in the past.
> >
> > What about submitting a PR, as we usually do for anything else? If it's
> > ok to wait 15 days (maintainer timeout) to commit an update to a port
> > that brings in important features, it is even more so to wait to
> > deprecate one.
>
> Not to discredit your work in any way, but 6 months of being BROKEN can
> be classified as maintainer timeout in the general case.

That's your opinion, and while I agree on the general idea that six
months is a lot, I would like actions / behavior to be based on policies
previously agreed upon and documented.

"15 days --> implicit approval (maintainer timeout)" is documented
"6 months --> implicit deprecation of broken ports" is not

> On a more constructive note - why don't you mention the specific port?
> Maybe some of us on the list can help you figure out why some files
> sometimes don't get byte compiled or provide you with a work-around
> solution (dynamically generated plist comes to mind).

The port is editors/komodo-edit. sbz@ gave me a hint about forcing
byte-compilation of all the python classes using

post-install:
        @${PYTHON_CMD} -O -m compileall -q ${DATADIR} || true
        @${PYTHON_CMD} -m compileall -q ${DATADIR} || true

but I never got to commit that. I'm testing it right now and unbreak the
port very soon. Thank you!

--
Pietro Cerutti
The FreeBSD Project