cvs commit: ports/games/8kingdoms Makefile ports/misc/airoflash Makefile ports/graphics/autopano-sift Makefile ports/x11/avant-window-navigator-xfce4 Makefile ports/lang/boo Makefile ports/x11/cl-clx-sbcl Makefile ports/palm/coldsync ...

Mel Flynn rflynn at acsalaska.net
Tue Apr 10 15:18:09 UTC 2012

On 4/10/2012 16:47, Pietro Cerutti wrote:
> On 2012-Apr-10, 11:20, Marcelo Araujo wrote:
>> 2012/4/10 Pietro Cerutti <gahr at freebsd.org>
>>>

>>> I might agree on that. But how is a DEPRECATED port better than a BROKEN
>>> one in this regard?
>>>

>> In my point of view, no make sense have a bunch of ports that actually
>> doesn't works or because there is a fetch problem or even it is set as
>> BROKEN. Who never was upset when need and find a port but it is BROKEN for
>> some reason, In my view, have a port BROKEN or haven't it, is the same. Of
>> course, I mean when a port is BROKEN for all plataforms as well as for all
>> FreeBSD version.
>
> I agree on that.
>

>> I believe set it as DEPRECATED is a good way to make the maintainer take
>> attention to fix it soon as possible, due he has put effort to insert this
>> software on the ports tree in the past.
>
> What about submitting a PR, as we usually do for anything else? If it's
> ok to wait 15 days (maintainer timeout) to commit an update to a port
> that brings in important features, it is even more so to wait to
> deprecate one.

Not to discredit your work in any way, but 6 months of being BROKEN can
be classified as maintainer timeout in the general case. Also given the
error you're seeing it sounds like a very specific case that shouldn't
affect the generally solid deprecation policy that is in effect - the
bulk of the deprecation cases are upstream abandonware with an equally
absent maintainer. I check the list of deprecated ports regularly when I
feel nostalgic for <blink>, java-based rollover menus and "News" from
the previous millennium.

On a more constructive note - why don't you mention the specific port?
Maybe some of us on the list can help you figure out why some files
sometimes don't get byte compiled or provide you with a work-around
solution (dynamically generated plist comes to mind).

--
Mel