cvs commit: ports/games/8kingdoms Makefile ports/misc/airoflash Makefile ports/graphics/autopano-sift Makefile ports/x11/avant-window-navigator-xfce4 Makefile ports/lang/boo Makefile ports/x11/cl-clx-sbcl Makefile ports/palm/coldsync ...

Pietro Cerutti gahr at FreeBSD.org
Tue Apr 10 14:56:36 UTC 2012

On 2012-Apr-10, 09:04, Jerry wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 07:40:09 -0500
> Mark Linimon articulated:
>
> > Finally, I agree that FreeBSD can't "guarantee" any given ports will
> > work, but I think we owe the users the effort to make sure if a port
> > is included, it's at least not completely useless.
>
> To "guarantee" that the port will work is certainly beyond the scope
> of the ports system; however, to guarantee that it is fetch-able
> and build-able is an implied action by the simple fact that it is
> included in the ports structure. If, after a reasonable amount of time,
> a solution for a port's inability to properly build or if the port is
> just plain not able to be fetched, then it should be removed from the
> port system. There is no upside to keeping ports that will not build,
> or cannot be fetched.

For the record, the port in question was fetchable / buildable /
runnable. For some reason, some python class sometimes doesn't get
byte-compiled, resulting in packaging (PLIST) errors.

--
Pietro Cerutti
The FreeBSD Project

PGP Public Key: