cvs commit: ports/games/8kingdoms Makefile ports/misc/airoflash Makefile ports/graphics/autopano-sift Makefile ports/x11/avant-window-navigator-xfce4 Makefile ports/lang/boo Makefile ports/x11/cl-clx-sbcl Makefile ports/palm/coldsync ...

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Tue Apr 10 13:04:28 UTC 2012

On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 07:40:09 -0500
Mark Linimon articulated:

> Finally, I agree that FreeBSD can't "guarantee" any given ports will
> work, but I think we owe the users the effort to make sure if a port
> is included, it's at least not completely useless.

To "guarantee" that the port will work is certainly beyond the scope
of the ports system; however, to guarantee that it is fetch-able
and build-able is an implied action by the simple fact that it is
included in the ports structure. If, after a reasonable amount of time,
a solution for a port's inability to properly build or if the port is
just plain not able to be fetched, then it should be removed from the
port system. There is no upside to keeping ports that will not build,
or cannot be fetched.

--
Jerry ♔