Preferred way of applying OSVERSION-dependend patches

Chris Rees utisoft at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 11:18:20 UTC 2012

On 1 Apr 2012 11:03, "Ruslan Mahmatkhanov" <cvs-src at yandex.ru> wrote:

> Good day!
>
> What is a preferred way of doing subj?
>
> 1. Add an extra-patch-* to files/ subdirectory and apply it depending
>   of checks in Makefile (.if ${OSVERSION}).
> 2. Add an patch-* to files subdirectory that applies unconditionally
>   and that checking for __FreeBSD_version in app code itself.
>
> The second one will guarantee that the patch still applies cleanly on
port versions update, but it will make it more hard to find conditional
checks for obsoleted FreeBSD versions (because most people, I believe, only
looking to Makefile for things like this).

Definitely 2 :)

Always testing beats sometimes testing.

Stick a comment in the Makefile that a reasonable regexp will match.

Chris