Ports system quality

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Sat Sep 3 09:33:52 UTC 2011

Baptiste Daroussin wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 02, 2011 at 11:49:48AM +0200, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Reference:
> > > From:		"Julian H. Stacey" <jhs at berklix.com>=20
> > > Date:		Fri, 02 Sep 2011 03:07:40 +0200=20
> > > Message-id:	<201109020107.p8217eFJ089679 at fire.js.berklix.net>=20
> >=20
> > I wrote:
> > > Microsoft must grin at all us BSD, Linux, maybe Solaris & presumably
> > > even now http://www.minix3.org free source enthusiasts reinventing
> > > similar old ports shims for same old 3rd party wheels:.=20
> >=20
> > FYI:
> > http://www.minix3.org ->
> > http://wiki.minix3.org/en/UsersGuide/InstallingBinaryPackages ->
> > http://pkgin.net/
> > "
> > pkgin is known to work and have been tested under the following platforms=
>  :
> >     * NetBSD 4.0
> >     * NetBSD 5.{0,1}
> >     * NetBSD current
> >     * DragonFly BSD 2.0 to 2.8
> >     * DragonFly BSD current
> >     * Solaris 10/SunOS 5.10
> >     * Opensolaris/SunOS 5.11
> >     * Debian GNU/Linux 5.0
> >     * Mac OS X 10.{5,6}
> >     * MINIX 3.1.8
> > "
> >=20
> > No /pub/FreeBSD/branches/-current/ports/ports-mgmt/pkgin .
> > I'm not familiar with pkgin, but nice to see OS co-operation.
> >=20
> > Cheers,
> > Julian
>
> pkgin is mostly driven by a single person, I really know well pkgin, becaus=
> e I
> ported it to FreeBSD in the past. There are patches from Minix and Dragonfly
> users, but through mostly things are done by the original author, and to he=
> lp
> portability but no much.
> I have picked up some ideas from pkgin for pkgng and the last version of pk=
> gin
> picked up some idea from pkgng. (Me and Emile Heitor - the author of pkgin -
> discuss and share ideas quite often about pkgin and pkgng)
>
> regards,
> Bapt

OK :-)
Suggestion: If He make some note about FreeBSD/pkgng on his page would help,
you could both cross link a See Also type href.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below, not above;  Indent with "> ";  Cumulative like a play script.