ports/162049: The Ports tree lacks a framework to restart services

Andrea Venturoli ml at netfence.it
Thu Oct 27 11:06:46 UTC 2011

On 10/27/11 11:15, Ed Schouten wrote:

I believe you have a point there.

> What really bothers me when I use the FreeBSD Ports tree on one of my
> systems, is that the behaviour of dealing with services is quite
> inconsistent. As mentioned in the PR:
>
> - If I upgrade Apache, MySQL or PostgreSQL, it does not restart the
>    service, meaning it won't use the freshly installed daemon. This has
>    potential security issues.
>
> - If I upgrade Dovecot, it shuts it down during the upgrade, but won't
>    restart it. This means that I have to watch portmaster to complete and
>    must not forget to restart Dovecot afterwards.
So does dhcpserver, unfortunately.

I'll also add a *really minor* glitch: during upgrade, some ports will
leave their daemons running, but somehow break the rc.d scripts, so that
you need to manually kill them before you can correctly restart them
(e.g. saslauthd).

IMVVVHO, I'd be pleased to have the port upgrading process do nothing
and leave it to me to restart anything required.

I'm inclined to think that, if some port upgrade process stops a daemon,
there must be a reason behind this: possibly the port wouldn't upgrade
properly otherwise.
In this case I'd really like the port to stop and wait for me to press
enter just before doing this.
The reason is simple: if I launch a "portupgrade -a", taking potentially
days, services will stop over time without any way for me to predict
when and I can't possibly watch for hours. If they just stopped before
killing a service, I could look from time to time and be prepared to
restart it in a few minutes (just the time for a single port's "make
install").

Just my two cents...

  bye
	av.