ports/162049: The Ports tree lacks a framework to restart services

Torfinn Ingolfsen tingox at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 10:24:19 UTC 2011

hello

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 11:15 AM, Ed Schouten <ed at 80386.nl> wrote:
>        We know exactly which ports install rc scripts (USE_RC_SUBR).
>        Why not run `/usr/local/etc/rc.d/${FOO} status' and
>        `/usr/local/etc/rc.d/${FOO} stop' prior to installation. Based
>        on the return value of the first, we can run
>        `/usr/local/etc/rc.d/${FOO} start' after installation.

Here is a link to the PR, for people who want it easy:

Shouldn't you be using 'service FOO stop' instead? See service(8).

Personally, I prefer the port upgrade process to NOT touch my running
services at all.
In cases where it can't be avoided, I'm prepared to manually handle
services that needs to be restarted after an upgrade.
As you probably are aware of already, there are also security concerns
with automatically starting a newly installed version of a program.

I'm only running FreeBSD for my personal use, on a limited number of machines.

If I was working with a larger number of machines, or needed an
automated solution, I would look into tools like sysutils/cfengine3

HTH
--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen