Unable to build swt-devel on systems with webkit-gtk2 installed

Conrad J. Sabatier conrads at cox.net
Thu Nov 3 01:11:06 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2 Nov 2011 15:56:26 -0700
Kevin Oberman <kob6558 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Looking back in the archive I see several messages about problems
> building x11-toolkits/swt-devel on systems with webkit-gtk2 installed.
> All fail with:
>       [exec] cc -shared -s -o libswt-awt-gtk-3659.so swt_awt.o
> -L/usr/local/diablo-jdk1.6.0/jre/lib/i386 -ljawt
>      [exec] make: don't know how to make make_webkit. Stop
>
> Is there any hope of getting this fixed? I'm totally out of my depth
> to try to figure out what needs to be done.

Yes, I grappled with this same problem recently.  I finally threw my
hands up and used a precompiled package instead (they can be a
lifesaver at times).

I generally do make a serious effort to work through any issues I
encounter with ports before simply surrendering.  Often, in the process,
some other heretofore "hidden" problem comes to light, and the effort
winds up yielding more than one benefit.

Of course, it's hard to shake that nagging feeling when there's clearly
something wrong somewhere on your system: if there's a package
available for port X, then obviously it was buildable by someone,
somewhere, so what the @%&! is wrong with *my* machine?  :-)

--
Conrad J. Sabatier
conrads at cox.net