State of affairs with Horde4

Fri May 27 07:52:44 UTC 2011

Quoting Beech Rintoul <akbeech at gmail.com> (from Thu, 26 May 2011
08:04:28 -0800):

> On Thursday 26 May 2011 00:58:15 you wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've seen your commits to horde4. I would like to know that current
>> status of this. Are there still some things to do, or is your
>> update-work finished in ports?
>>
>> If there are no open issues anymore, did you replace a horde3 (imp,
>> kronolith, nag, turba, ...) install with horde4? If yes, was it an
>> update and how did it went, or was it a complete new setup?
>
> There is still much to do with horde4. This series completely replaces any
> previous versions and isn't backwards compatible with any other horde
> framework. Horde decided to go with pear install and split everything into
> approx 70 separate installs. That's a work in progress to translate all those
> libs and extensions into FreeBSD's port system. If you want to try it in the
> meantime, you can do a pear install -a -B of any of the apps and it will
> install everything into ${PEARDIR}/horde. Both that path and
> ${PREFIX}/www/horde are in the search path, so you can have both until I get
> everything ported.

I would prefer to install via ports instead via pear. Do you have any
idea about your available time for this (= when do you plan to finish
this.. I mostly care about IMP/kronolith/nag/turba and maybe mnemo, I
do not care much about hermes and whups (I have them installed but I
do not really use them))?

> I haven't seen any major problems with this release apart from the normal
> config issues. Horde has never been much fun to configure given all the
> choices, but watching the lists I'm only seeing minor problems and they seem
> very good about addressing same. My experience is with a new install, but
> migration is possible and supported. I would definitely back up your
> db before
> even attempting an upgrade. The db schema updates are now all
> contained inside
> the main configure screen, but the docs on updating are still sketchy.

I already read the availabe docs regarding the migration before I
contacted you. Taking a ZFS snapshot before the upgrade is the first I
plan to do when I try to migrate.

> H3 is still fully supported and I plan on keeping it updated. This
> new release
> is such a huge departure from previous versions that there really aren't any
> choices besides a fresh install (keeping the old data and importing).
>
> I would much appreciate any feedback you have if you do update to this
> version.

Ok, give me (and/or ports) a heads-up when you have the ports in a
state you feel good about, and I try to get some time to upgrade and
tell about my experience.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Martin was probably ripping them off.  That's some family, isn't it?
Incest, prostitution, fanaticism, software.