Clean up old PRs

Eitan Adler lists at eitanadler.com
Mon May 16 16:51:26 UTC 2011

> I am proposing a new one:
>
> x - expired
>    This report is over 2 years old. If no one has bothered to fix it
>    by now, then in all probability no one will.

I am very against this proposal. Some bugs have persisted for over a
decade, but are still problems (see bin/1375 for an example).
As Matthew said " Just because it's old doesn't mean it's pointless."
Having an "expired" state would discourage people from perusing the
bugs and trying to find something to fix and would perhaps remove
attention from actual bugs.

Chris Rees said:
>Normally closed is used for this.
As of this time it can not get closed because "no one wants to work on
it". A PR can get closed for one of the following reasons:
(a) the issue is resolved and have been MFCed to all supported branches
(b) It is not a real bug
(c) It involves specific hardware information not given in the bug
report and the reporter times out.

Regarding old PRs which have already been fixed:

I have spent considerable time trying to find bugs which are no longer
issues and setting them to the closed state. If you are aware of any
feel free to email me directly or hop on to #freebsd-bugbusters on
EFNet.

Regarding the new states for the different meanings of suspended and open:

This has come up multiple times before. Nearly everyone agrees that
the current state of affairs is non-optimal. Invariable someone brings
up new states and/or a new bug tracking system. If you look throughout
the archives this mailing list as well as -questions, -hackers, etc,
you can find archives of these discussions. I strongly suggest you
peruse these before starting this discussion again :-)

--
Eitan Adler