R: Re: firefox 4 crashes after last nspluginwrapper-devel

Jung-uk Kim jkim at FreeBSD.org
Thu Mar 31 23:38:03 UTC 2011

On Thursday 31 March 2011 06:27 pm, Barbara wrote:

> >> I run "nspluginwrapper -a -v -i" in that directory, as I always
> >> did after upgrading that port.
> >> I think that you are talking about that, aren't you?
> >
> >Yes.  I hardly use '-a', though.  Can you please show me
> >'nspluginwrapper -l' output?
>
> Sure!
> $ nspluginwrapper -l
> /home/bar/.mozilla/plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so
>   Original plugin: /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/libflashplayer.so
>   Plugin viewer: /usr/local/lib/nspluginwrapper/i386/linux/npviewer
>   Wrapper version string: 1.3.0

Hmmm...  I have linux-f10-flashplugin-10.2r153 and it is installed
as /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so, not
in /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/.  This definitely looks
suspicious.

> >> I'd like to add that, from what I saw until now, the problem
> >> seems happining only with FF4.
> >> My "main" browser is www/seamonkey2 and I had no crash with it
> >> and *it seems* (suggestion?not enough tests?) that the freezing
> >> behaviour is gone. I think that Fedora still uses FF3.6.*, so
> >> maybe the fix is good only for the pre-2 libxul/xulrunner/gecko
> >> engine, maybe the glue part...?. Is that possible?
> >
> >Actually I myself use Firefox 4 on CURRENT/amd64 and I've never
> >experienced such problem.
>
> I'm currently using it on 8_STABLE/i386.

I must confess I've never tried it on STABLE/i386.  Will try on
VirtualBox when I get back home.

> > Long ago, I had stale plugins around
> >(i.e., accidentally ran 'nspluginwrapper -i' as root, which
> > installed wrappers in system-wide location) and it caused such
> > crash, though.
>
> I'm 100% sure I've never run it as root.
> Do you think that rebuilding FF4 WITH_DEBUG could be of any help to
> understand what's going on?

Try "pkg_info -W /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/libflashplayer.so" and
see if it is stale.  If so, you can remove it.  Try "nspluginwrapper
-v -i /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so"
and see what happens next.

Jung-uk Kim