firefox 4 crashes after last nspluginwrapper-devel

Brandon Gooch jamesbrandongooch at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 23:34:00 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 5:27 PM, Barbara <barbara.xxx1975 at libero.it> wrote:

>>> I run "nspluginwrapper -a -v -i" in that directory, as I always did
>>> after upgrading that port.
>>> I think that you are talking about that, aren't you?
>>
>>Yes.  I hardly use '-a', though.  Can you please show me
>>'nspluginwrapper -l' output?
>>

> Sure!
> $ nspluginwrapper -l
> /home/bar/.mozilla/plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so
>  Original plugin: /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/libflashplayer.so
>  Plugin viewer: /usr/local/lib/nspluginwrapper/i386/linux/npviewer
>  Wrapper version string: 1.3.0
>

>>> I'd like to add that, from what I saw until now, the problem seems
>>> happining only with FF4.
>>> My "main" browser is www/seamonkey2 and I had no crash with it and
>>> *it seems* (suggestion?not enough tests?) that the freezing
>>> behaviour is gone. I think that Fedora still uses FF3.6.*, so maybe
>>> the fix is good only for the pre-2 libxul/xulrunner/gecko engine,
>>> maybe the glue part...?. Is that possible?
>>
>>Actually I myself use Firefox 4 on CURRENT/amd64 and I've never
>>experienced such problem.
>
> I'm currently using it on 8_STABLE/i386.
>
>> Long ago, I had stale plugins around
>>(i.e., accidentally ran 'nspluginwrapper -i' as root, which installed
>>wrappers in system-wide location) and it caused such crash, though.
>>

> I'm 100% sure I've never run it as root.
> Do you think that rebuilding FF4 WITH_DEBUG could be of any help to understand
> what's going on?
>
> Barbara

I was running into the same issue with Firefox 4 crashing. When I
built Firefox with debugging turned on, I couldn't get it to crash. So
I don't think it will help in this scenario, but you could give it
shot I suppose.

I finally wound up removing and reinstalling Firefox, the linux compat
layer (f10), the flash plugin, nspluginwrapper, and every trace of the
plugin from my system (that I could find). I also followed the
Handbook's recommended installation method, and began running "tests".
The testing phase was simply opening many tabs with embedded flash
objects :)

So far, no crash. The only message I continue to see in the terminal
from which Firefox is launched is:

*** NSPlugin Wrapper *** ERROR: no valid NPP -> PluginInstance mapping found

It doesn't seem to cause any real problems, so...

Anyway, I'm going to keep hammering until something finally breaks, haha ^_^

-Brandon