Superfluous dependencies

perryh at pluto.rain.com perryh at pluto.rain.com
Sun Mar 13 04:12:48 UTC 2011

Doug Barton <dougb at freebsd.org> wrote:

> ... what is really needed is for the OPTIONS framework to take
> environmental preferences into account when dealing with defaults
> ... if WITHOUT_X11 is defined in make.conf, then the defaults for
> OPTIONS that are related to requiring X11 stuff should be off ...
> that logic really needs to be in bsd.options.mk. Any volunteers?

While we are at it, WITHOUT_X11 really needs a WITHOUT_X11_SERVER
subcase.  There's precious little use for an X11 _server_ on many
headless systems -- I don't say "all" because someone might want VNC
even on a headless box -- but they may well want some X11 _clients_.

I'd consider volunteering if not for ENOTIME -- I'm having enough
trouble finding time to get an 8.x system set up "the way I want
it" before my current (6.1) box dies of old age.  (The principal
problem involves either a geom issue or, much more likely, my
misunderstanding of how that part of geom works.  The same trace
code will work equally well to clear up either case :)