[Adopting a port..or contributing... and a patch included for java on most recent of all jdk/jre)

Matthias Andree mandree at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jun 30 09:37:06 UTC 2011

Am 30.06.2011 04:23, schrieb xD 0x41:

> Anyhow, here is a small patch i hacked up for the timezone bug, wich sits in
> ports/java , but it is crappy really that i had to resrt to this even to
> install the data... this apps, should be mirrored as a package, or,
> disguised as a freebsd package, as it does only need the binaries, i was
> going to install the whole thing, until i found the diablo packages...saved
> me alotof time...but still this same bug exists on all jdk and jre.
> I checked distfiles for the recent tzupdaer it had and, fuinnily enough it
> had an updated copy of the file without me needing to d/l it,but again, the
> problem exists in the makefiles... so this needs a proper patching..here is
> my rough patch/exampkle:

[patches omitted]

> NOTE: i left OUT sha256 cksum,as i did not have a tool handy to get the
> current info from the zip file, i was only able o update size...i hope this
> can be fixed by the actual ports maintainers... it is not much, and i
> believe orks as it is (blank)...

Hi xD,

thank you for your contribution.

As to the check sums, an sha256 command is in the base system, so the
tool is the easiest part.

However, it looks like

A. this got already submitted
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=158280 and patched in the
ports tree

B. the patches' header lines got corrupted (date and file names run
together without separating TAB or blanks).

Be sure to *not ever copy and paste patches* or diffs, but attach them,
or possibly with decent editors for text-based mailers (such as mutt +
vim) "read" or "include" them verbatim, making sure they don't get
reformatted (like TAB expanded, line wrapped, or similar).

So *no need for action on your part* now.

*For your next submission*, please keep the information below in mind so
we can actually use your contribution:

In a common work flow, you'd usually first update the ports tree (for
instance, running "portsnap fetch update", or for the first time,
"portsnap fetch extract"), do "make checksums" on the old port before
touching the Makefile so that the other and/or old files are there and
properly downloaded (except if all distfiles change, even if "all" means
just one)

To generate the sha256 for the files, all it takes is to download the
new files, verify it's properly downloaded and untampered (best with
GnuPG signatures if available), put it in /usr/ports/distfiles (or a
subdirectory, if specified in the Makefile), and then "make makesums"
will do the job. That also works outside the ports directory tree, if
you copy the original port and work on the copy.

Finally, to ease tracking of your contribution, and make sure it isn't
lost, it's useful if you

A. either use the port-tools to submit the patches with the "port
submit" command as a "PR",

B. or else at least Cc: the maintainers of the respective ports you're
touching - "make maintainer" will print them, as will manually reading
the Makefiles (or else looking at http://freshports.org/DIRECTORY/PORT
with the last two components replaced).

Details in http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/

Thank you again for your assistance.