Fping with WITH_IPV6=YES

Jason Hellenthal jhell at DataIX.net
Mon Jun 6 01:25:18 UTC 2011

Scot,

On Sun, Jun 05, 2011 at 09:25:46AM -0500, Scot Hetzel wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 9:24 PM, Jason Hellenthal <jhell at dataix.net> wrote:
> >
> > And if I might suggest, remove the old ifdef and replace with ...
> >
> > pre-extract:
> > .if defined(WITH_IPV6)
> > .undef WITH_IPV6
> >  @${ECHO_MSG} "*********************************************************************"
> >  @${ECHO_MSG} "*** IPV6 IS NOT ENABLED FOR net/fping, IT DOES NOT WORK WITH IPV4 ***"
> >  @${ECHO_MSG} "***             PLEASE SEE/USE net/fping+ipv6 INSTEAD             ***"
> >  @${ECHO_MSG} "***    THESE PORTS CAN CO-EXIST TOGETHER AND BOTH BE INSTALLED    ***"
> >  @${ECHO_MSG} "*********************************************************************"
> >  @sleep 10
> > .endif
> >

> I would suggest the following changes for net/fping:
>
> - remove the ipv6 category from net/fping, since it is ipv4 only.
>
> Change comment to:
> COMMENT=	Quickly ping N hosts w/o flooding the network - IPv4 Only version
>
> - Remove this define from the ports Makefile:
>
> .if defined(WITH_IPV6)
> # IPv6 not enabled by default, as it does not work together with IPv4.
> CFLAGS+=	-DIPV6
> .endif
>
> I also noticed that the net/fping includes a source address patch
> (net/fping/files/patch-sourceaddr) that is missing in the
> net/fping+ipv6 port.  The patch seems to support both ipv4 or ipv6
> depending on if IPV6 is defined.

Agreed. Either will do as it still has the same effect.

Thinking about this while at work and looking over the source for fping,
it would be really nice if we snatched it up, modified it so ipv4+ipv6
worked together and then just slammed it into /usr/src/sbin/fping.

The license is really permisable MIT like license and the code size is
rather small. I think Solaris already has or has had a utility very
similiar to the functionality of this and would make sense to to have it
in our tree as well.

Language     files	blank	comments	code
C		1	633	305		1804

"Unity can only be manifested by the Binary. Unity itself and the idea of Unity are already two." -- Buddha

 Regards, (jhell)
 Jason Hellenthal