redports.org - The public FreeBSD ports development infrastructure

Bernhard Fröhlich decke at bluelife.at
Thu Dec 29 17:51:20 UTC 2011

On Do., 29. Dez. 2011 15:26:12 CET, Vitaly Magerya <vmagerya at gmail.com> wrote:

> Bernhard Froehlich wrote:
> > Hi Porters!
> >
> > I am happy to announce that redports.org has finally
> > reached the point where I think It's safe to be used
> > by everybody!
>
> First of all, this is pretty great.
>
> Next, questions, comments & feature requests.
>
> 1. It would be good to see what is currently in the queue for each
> backend (or buildgroup) right now; just to get an estimation of when
> your build will finish (e.g. "in a few minutes" vs. "in a month"). An
> actual estimation would be even better.

Showing the buildqueue is easy but making predictions from the list is nearly impossible. There is a scheduling algorithm that tries to be fair but it cannot do much more than that.

> 2. GCC 4.5 buildgroup currently shows 0 queued builds, but for some
> reason my build in that buildgroup does not start. Is there really
> nothing queued there?

Currently all builds are on the same machine and there is a limit of 2 parallel builds for this machine.

> 3. On "My builds" page I see two strange builds in "waiting" state: one
> for buildgroup "GCC" another for "4.5"; should that be one buidgroup
> "GCC 4.5"?

Sounds like a bug. I will have a look at that.

> 4. Is each backend a separate physical (or virtual) machine (i.e. do
> they all operate independently)? Are more machines planned?

There is currently only one backend machine that is limited to two parallel builds. It is a 6 core Phenom II with 16GB Ram so performance is quite decent but more hardware will be needed over time. I would also like to get get some Tier-2 hardware like powerpc or sparc if there is enough interest. So organizing more hardware is on my todo but it will take some time.

> 5. Is there a way to see all the build archive, not just yours when you
> are logged in?

No currently not but this is only a cosmetic thing and easy to fix. I've put it on my todo.