x11/nvidia-{driver, settings, xconfig}: why not the latest available version (290.10)?

Denise H. G. darcsis at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 08:44:18 UTC 2011

On 2011/12/24 at 08:41, "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads at cox.net> wrote:

> Hi,
> Just wondering why the x11/nvidia-{driver,settings,xconfig} ports have
> yet to be updated to the latest version (290.10).  Are there any known
> issues with any of these newer versions that would make such an upgrade
> ill-advised?
>
> FWIW, I've been running nvidia-driver version 290.10 since shortly after
> it was made available on the Nvidia site, and haven't run across any
> issues that can be directly attributed to the driver, at least, not to
> the best of my knowledge.

290.10 has some issues on text redrawing as far I experience. I have
also been running 290.10 for quite a while. Some apps, especially emacs
and gnome-terminal will fail redrawing text areas while, e.g. scrolling.
And x11 cursor cannot sometimes be displayed correctly.

When I downgrade to 285.09.05, things seem to be OK.

> As an aside, I've also been wondering for quite a while now why the
> nvidia-driver port isn't under the x11-drivers category, rather than
> simply x11.  Not awfully important, just curious.  :-)
>
> --
> Conrad J. Sabatier
> conrads at cox.net

Once you go FreeBSD, you don't need a Mac.