Linux compatibility with more than one Linux installed?

Tue Dec 6 11:17:28 UTC 2011

Hi,

you don't need to install an old linux kernel. It depends upon the features used by the userland stuff. It is possible to compile glibc to use all features, or to compile it in a way it works on an old kernel too (I have no idea about the details involved). So all depends upon the linux-distribution you use.

Bye,
Alexander.
--
Send via an Android device, please forgive brevity and typographic and spelling errors. Thomas Mueller <mueller6727 at bellsouth.net> hat geschrieben:> The X server has a unix socket somewhere in /tmp. Normally this is used instead of a TCP connection to the localhost. You need to change the DISPLAY
> env-variable to use a TCP connection, or you need o make the unix socket available to the chrooted linux-env.

> The linuxulator in FreeBSD is nearly linux 2.6.16 compatible. We lack inotify and epoll support which the 2.6.16 kernel normally supports. If your system does
> not depend upon inotify, epoll and anything newer than 2.6.16, it should work. If you give it a try, please report success or failure to
> emulation at FreeBSD.org.

> Bye,
> Alexander.

Now I might have something to try, but it is very unlikely that I would build a Linux kernel <= 2.6.16, especially with new hardware that might need the latest drivers.  I will primarily want to run Linux natively rather than under FreeBSD.

I think emulators/linux_dist-gentoo-stage3 and emulators/linux_base-gentoo-stage3 must use kernel far beyond 2.6.16.

But I think, when chrooting into Linux from FreeBSD, FreeBSD kernel is the one in effect.

Tom