Fwd: Re: Obsoleted zope ports deprecation

Ruslan Mahmatkhanov cvs-src at yandex.ru
Tue Dec 6 07:49:10 UTC 2011

Hi, Gerhard.

Please keep python@ and ports@ in cc:.

Gerhard Schmidt wrote on 12/06/11 10:29:

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Betreff: Re: Obsoleted zope ports deprecation
> Datum: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 07:24:46 +0100
> Von: Gerhard Schmidt <estartu at augusta.de>
> An: NAKAJI Hiroyuki <nakaji at jp.freebsd.org>
>
> (11/12/04 20:52), Ruslan Mahmatkhanov wrote:
>> Good day.
>>
>> I wrote to you because you are maintainers of zope ports, listed here:
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~rm/zope-ports-for-deprecation.html
>>
>> I'm asking for your approval for this ports deprecation and removing in
>> one month. Deprecation reasons for each port also listed on link above.
>
> Is there a reason to remove these Ports. I'm still using Zope2.7 and
> Zope2.11 in our Production Systems. So why don't keep them.

As Martin already stated there is two major reasons for that:
1. Python 2.4 and python 2.5 are EOL and should be moved from the tree
   (this was done in all major linux distros time ago)
2. Zope < 2.12 are EOL and should be moved from the tree too, because:
   1. They have unfixed security issues
   2. They rely on obsoleted python 2.4

As far i understand, you or should try to move to 2.13 or keep required
zope ports locally (with using Makefile.local files), because most
users, imho, doesn't need them now.

> BTW I am the maintainer og the port www/zope too don't know why it's
> listed there as maintained by ports at freebsd.org.

Sorry, it was my fault. Now fixed.

--
Regards,