Does USE_GCC= 4.5+ also set C++ and Fortran to g++45/46 and gfortran45/46?

O. Hartmann ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Thu Apr 14 07:52:14 UTC 2011

On 04/14/11 08:32, b. f. wrote:
> On 4/14/11, O. Hartmann<ohartman at mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de>  wrote:
>> On 04/13/11 20:59, b. f. wrote:
>
>> I looked into ports/Mk/bsd.gcc.mk and found that only gcc45 is set in
>> case of using USE_FORTRAN, not gcc46. It would be nice also having gcc46
>> set, since we try to optimise for AVX in the new Intel Sandy-Bridge CPUs
>> and gcc46 is supoorting new facilities like that.
>
> I think that the gcc maintainer will probably switch the default
> Fortran compiler to gcc46 after gcc46 has been tested a bit longer,
> and some of the remaining bugs fixed.  You could of course switch the
> default on your own machines.  AVX support requires more than just a
> new compiler and the proper hardware: at the moment, FreeBSD doesn't
> support AVX, although some outside developers expressed an interest in
> adding support for it:
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-arch/2011-March/011167.html
>
> but this will probably take some time.
>
> b.

Regarding the gcc46: I hope so.

I read about the interest for AVX support in FreeBSd. But we try to
optimize some code for numerical simulations to adopt SSE and, f
available, AVX support by coding assembler or with the GNU compiler
__attribute__ intrinsics. But this is also a bit of science-fiction for
AVX for now.

We had hope for clang, but clang lacks in many aspects we desperately
need - like OpenMP support.

Oliver