XPI infrastructure needs some love

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Wed Sep 8 04:58:37 UTC 2010

On 09/07/2010 09:36 PM, Lapo Luchini wrote:
> Doug Barton wrote:
>> Are these eclipse plugins similar to mozilla plugins in that the user
>> has to take an additional step after the FreeBSD package is added, or if
>> the package is on the system then it's available to all the users
>> immediately?  If the latter, then I can understand why having FreeBSD
>> packages of them would be valuable. If they are similar to mozilla
>> plugins then I'm curious what the value-add is.
>
> Uh? But the XPI plugins *are* immediately available to all the
> Firefox/SeaMonkey/ThunderBird of all the users, immediately after
> install.

Well if that's true then I'm prepared to be a tiny bit embarrassed, but
that's why I wanted to discuss it. I'm not afraid to learn something
new, thanks! :)

> I think you're thinking about Enigmail, which only creates a
> local XPI that must then be installed by every and each user that
> desires to do, but enigmail's unique in that approach, all the other XPI
> ports are immediately available.

Interesting. I am going to assume that's true (can't test it at the
moment) but even so it doesn't really change how I feel about the
situation. If we have maintainers who are willing to keep these things
up to date and people agree that this is an acceptable use of scarce
resources, well, Ok then. But if either of those premises are not true,
IMO they need to go.

I'm particularly concerned about the situation where we have them in the
tree but they are not up to date. That's not only a waste of resources
it makes us look bad.

Doug

			-- Propellerheads