Ports - installation & upgrade history

David Southwell david at vizion2000.net
Tue Nov 30 18:42:08 UTC 2010

> On Nov 30, 2010, at 10:24 AM, David Southwell wrote:
> > Something fairly comprehensive that would enable one to see when a port
> > was first installed, its original version number, when it was
> > upgraded/deinstalled/reinstalled and subsequent changes to the installed
> > version. Maybe also time/date when a port tree was updated and which
> > ports were affected by those updates.
>
> You can gather some information by:
>
>   ls -ltr /var/db/ports
>
> For full information about all of the changes to the ports tree, you'd need
> to take a look at the CVS history, perhaps via:
>
>   http://www.freshports.org/
>   http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/
>
> Regards,

I was thinking of something which is far more comprehensive and systematic.
Whilst installed options are obtained by examining /var/db/ports the files do
not do not provide the detailed historical information which I envisage.

The freshports/freebsd sites will tell us when the distributed ports tree was
changed but does not provide a historical record of changes to the local ports
tree.

David

Photographic Artist
Permanent Installations & Design
Creative Imagery and Advanced Digital Techniques
High Dynamic Range Photography & Official Portraiture
Combined darkroom & digital creations
& Systems Adminstrator for the vizion2000.net network