Ports - installation & upgrade history

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue Nov 30 18:46:47 UTC 2010

On Nov 30, 2010, at 10:41 AM, David Southwell wrote:
> I was thinking of something which is far more comprehensive and systematic. Whilst installed options are obtained by examining /var/db/ports the files do not do not provide the detailed historical information which I envisage.

Correct.  Unless you've taken good backups, nothing else currently preserves all of the historical information you envision, but you can at least get some of the requested info just out of the current filesystem.

> The freshports/freebsd sites will tell us when the distributed ports tree was changed but does not provide a historical record of changes to the local ports tree.

Also correct.  Again, short of having periodic backups made at sufficiently rapid intervals, there is no way to track that information over time.

Regards,
--
-Chuck