[CFT] mplayer / mencoder port update

Anonymous swell.k at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 02:18:20 UTC 2010

Michal Varga <varga.michal at gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, 2010-11-13 at 03:22 +0300, Anonymous wrote:
>> Can you try to replace
>>
>>   #ifdef __FreeBSD__
>>
>> with
>>
>>   #ifdef __FreeBSD__ && __FreeBSD_version >= 800097
>>
>> Alternatively, just hide the patch under ${OSVERSION} >= 800097.
>
> Just my 2 cents:
>
> Wouldn't be easier to simply made the patch optional via OPTIONS
> (defaulting to off) and forget about it?
>
> For example, I too have no use for it, as I don't prefer applications
> messing with my mixer and thus run mplayer with -sotfvol. And seriously,
> even then, for the past 10 years of pretty heavy mplayer usage - I
> changed volume in it for like.. three times, ever (probably by
> accident).

VPC is smth like an application-specific mixer. And you can even change
volume for apps that don't normally have any volume control, e.g. audio/xmp.

  http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/utils/appsmixer

OTOH, -softvol is mplayer-specific.

> So for me, this is a patch that's not part of $Upstream, does absolutely
> nothing I need, does even less for 4Front OSS users, and is already
> known to break stuff for someone (the last point being somewhat
> significant).

It was an attempt to make volume control more user-friendly on 8.x packages.
For example

  1. user opens a file and finds out volume is too high
  3. so, he reduces it using volume control buttons (`/' and `*')
  4. after a bit of time he pauses playback (e.g. to get more snacks)
  5. then resumes playback only to find out volume is back to high

And the above doesn't happen on 6.x or 7.x. But on 8.x one has to dig
mplayer manpage for -softvol even if he previously didn't use it.

> Please, don't include it by default for everyone.

If it's not gonna be included by default there should be a note in
PKGMESSAGE about how VPC on 8.x affects volume control in mplayer
and a suggestion to use -softvol.