portsclean -CDD oddness

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Tue Nov 9 17:31:55 UTC 2010

On 11/09/2010 06:28, Jimmie James wrote:
>> On 11/03/2010 23:46, Doug Barton wrote:

>> portupgrade was updated today, I imagine to resolve this issue.
>
> Yes, the update $FreeBSD: ports/ports-mgmt/portupgrade/Makefile,v 1.259
> 2010/11/08 07:56:14 stas Exp $ has fixed the issue of removing all
> distfiles.
>
> Thank you!

Don't thank me, thank stas. :)

> Once I migrate this 7.3-STABLE to the latest 8.x branch, I'm planning on
> using portmaster. I have a bit of a Bad Feeling about making the switch
> with 1217 ports installed. I'm just waiting on getting my backup drive
> returned to me.

FYI, portmaster is completely ignorant about the scope of your installed
ports ... it only takes into account the things you tell it to work on,
whether that's one port or hundreds. And my understanding about
portupgrade is that if something gets updated without it that on the
next update of the database it takes that into account and then keeps on
working just fine. But (honestly) I'm not trying to talk you into
anything. :)  Portupgrade is a fine tool, and I never have regarded
portmaster as being "in competition" with it.

Meanwhile, with 1200+ ports (yikes!) IMO you definitely do not want to
try an in-place upgrade over a major OS version update. You might want
to install portmaster and look in the man page at the end for the
recommended "major version upgrade" procedure, especially if you plan to
give portmaster a try on the new system.

> You've helped a lot Doug, it's really appreciated, cheers!

My pleasure.

Doug

			-- OK Go