UPDATING entry for X.org changes

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at acm.org
Mon May 10 00:04:13 UTC 2010

On 2010-May-07 08:55:26 -0700, Freddie Cash <fjwcash at gmail.com> wrote:
> What would have been nice is a note that the default background for the
>bare X server was changed from the nice grey/black checkerboard to solid
>black.
>
>The portmaster update of X completed successfully.  Starting X by itself (X
>-config /etc/X11/xorg.conf) gave a black screen, like it had crashed.  Tried
>"X -configure" and "X -config ./xorg.conf.new".  Same thing.  Tried a couple
>of different xorg.conf files, tried without a config file.  All gave black
>screens, similar to a crash of the X server or a driver bug.

Actually, this is one of the things that was broken between Xorg 7.3
and Xorg 7.4 (see ports/134643).  I spent over a month trying to work
out why my Xorg 7.4 trial update wasn't working.

Whoever silently changed the defaults so that starting the Xserver
gives a black screen whilst disabling Ctrl-Alt-BS (so you can't stop
the server) should be shot.

--
Peter Jeremy