[Call for Testing] X.org 7.5 for FreeBSD

Robert Noland rnoland at FreeBSD.org
Mon Mar 15 17:06:32 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 16:29 +0100, Henri-Pierre Charles wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 1:48 PM, Robert Noland <rnoland at freebsd.org> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2010-03-12 at 20:10 +0100, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> > Ok, now that agp seems to be working... I have created a port for the
> > 2.9.1 version of the Intel driver.  You will need to uninstall the
> > existing intel driver and install this one.  You still won't have drm,
> > but should be a good bit better than vesa...
> >
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~rnoland/xf86-video-intel29.tar.gz
> > Please let me know how it goes.  You will likely want to use UXA
> > acceleration with this driver.
>
> Good to know that a new intel driver version is available.
>
> I've tried the new 7.5 xorg  version and I still have difficulties
> with my atom based machine  :
>

> asus:tmp/>dmesg | grep agp
> agp0: <Intel 82945G (945G GMCH) SVGA controller> on vgapci0
> agp0: detected 7932k stolen memory
> agp0: aperture size is 256M
> asus:tmp/>uname -a
> FreeBSD asus.hpch.net 8.0-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE-p2 #3: Wed
> Jan 13 14:49:40 CET 2010
> root at asus.hpch.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
> asus:tmp/>dmesg | grep CPU
> CPU: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU  230   @ 1.60GHz (1596.01-MHz 686-class CPU)
> p4tcc0: <CPU Frequency Thermal Control> on cpu0
>
> On this machine the symptom are a 30s to 1mn freeze then switching
> from console mode to graphic (when xdm start), and same hang when
> doing graphic stuff like dvd play, or using xv or qiv.
>
> Yesterday I've try to compile xorg 7.5 and xfce4. Same symptom.
>
> The only workaround I've found is to disable acpi
> 'hint.acpi.0.disabled="1" in /boot/loader.conf
> And even with that, I've a corrupted screen.
>
> Vesa is not an option, because it can not recognize my 1920x1200 screen.
>
> Is there any chance that the 2.9 intel driver behave better ?

It is very unlikely... The 2.9 series driver will not support drm
without GEM and so it is really slow.  The only reason to try and use it
that I can think of is if you have an Ironlake chipset with isn't
supported in the 2.7 driver.

I have an Atom 330 with the 945 chipset and I haven't had any issues
with it.  It is possible that it is waiting for resources.  How much ram
do you have?

robert.

--
Robert Noland <rnoland at FreeBSD.org>