RFC: Mk/bsd.jpeg.mk to automagically handle jpeg dependency

Ion-Mihai Tetcu itetcu at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jun 16 22:11:28 UTC 2010

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 02:38:29 -0700
Ade Lovett <ade at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On Jun 15, 2010, at 18:09 , Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > 	Ever since the addition of graphics/libjpeg-turbo, I had
> > been wondering how one could possibly build the whole ports tree
> > with it instead of graphics/jpeg. I wanted the choice.
> >
> > 	Therefore, I wrote the attached bsd.jpeg.mk as a suggestion.
>
> I have other concerns, but the fundamental one is bsd.jpeg.mk is way
> too specific, and could easily lead to bsd.tiff.mk, bsd.gd.mk, etc..
> etc..
>
> You might want to consider abstracting it out a little further
> (compare with bsd.database.mk) to, say, bsd.graphics.mk
>
> It might then be possible to do weird and wonderful things like:
>
> USE_GRAPHICS= jpeg-turbo openexr gd tiff
>
> in ports Makefiles, and have them do the right thing, or at least
> offer up include and library paths, along with relevant *_DEPENDS
> additions.

Also, implementing at least min. versions for each depend is needed.

> It's a little more work in the short term, but there's plenty of
> existing Mk/* files to use as reference for parsing a possible
> USE_GRAPHICS stanza, and it is much more extensible.

My question is: do we really need this? We're at the point where in
order to make use of all macros, vars, etc. we have, one needs to work
daily on ports.

FreeBSD committer -> itetcu at FreeBSD.org, PGP Key ID 057E9F8B493A297B