Data files and ports

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 11 14:57:46 UTC 2010

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 10:58:50 -0300
Jesse Smith <jessefrgsmith at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> I'm trying to port a program which is distributed in two separate
> packages from the upstream project. One package contains the
> executable program and the other contains data files. The Data
> package rarely changes. The idea being packaging them together would
> use up a lot of extra bandwidth.

> Which brings me to the question: Since the executable relies on the
> data files being in place before it's run, how should I handle that
> in the port? Should I just get the executable to install and let the
> user manually get the data files? Should I create a second port for
> the data package? Or should I find some way of making the
> executable's makefile download and unpack the data package?

I think it depends on how the data is versioned. If it has a version
number in the filename that's the same as the executable, then a single
port is best. If they have separate version numbers, then go with two
ports.

If the data is not versioned at all, it might be best to create a
data port that uses a snapshot that you host separately.