Manually registering dependencies for ports

Stephen Montgomery-Smith stephen at missouri.edu
Mon Jun 7 01:10:36 UTC 2010

Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
> Doug Barton wrote:
>> On 06/06/10 17:41, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> Well, in my mind, when I sent the message, I was somewhat sure it would
>>> work, at least that it would pass some kind of quick test.
>>
>> In other words, you guessed, and your guess was wrong.
>
> I did guess, and it seems that I was wrong.  This completely surprised
> me.  My apologies.  You are right and I was wrong.

OK, after that appropriate chastising, let me try again.  This time I
did test it.

So, suppose you have a script xxx that uses port yyy.  So this will work:

echo xxx >> /var/db/pkg/yyy/+REQUIRED_BY
mkdir /var/db/pkg/xxx
touch /var/db/pkg/xxx/+CONTENTS

On the other hand, this will cause programs like pkg_info and
pkg_version to get out of sorts.  And I guess if you use programs like
port-upgrade (which I don't), who knows what damage this might cause.

So --- this is what I would do.  If I had a set of scripts that I wanted
to install, I would write my own local port whose job is to install the
scripts, and which lists the needed dependencies as RUN_DEPENDS.