Torrentflux and Zabbix Apache Include files??

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sun Jun 6 20:36:53 UTC 2010

On 06/06/2010 15:20:10, Kaya Saman wrote:
> I don't know.... it is fun; lot's of fun when have the time but if
> configuring for business grade production then I just feel that there
> should be slightly more help in the files with templates and examples
> etc.... - highly debatable of course and apologies if I sound like I'm
> whining I honestly really enjoyed myself doing all this and what made it
> more fun is that the systems that I did the work on are geographically
> separated from myself which just shows the power of UNIX and SSH over MS
> Win and RDP which to me is only for Sun Ray's and nothing more :-) .

Doug already made some general comments, but on the particular subject
of Apache configuration, you're right.  Ported web applications
generally do not install sample Apache configuration files.

There are three aspects to this:

   * FreeBSD ports of daemons, etc. are usually installed in a disabled
     configuration.  The sysadmin needs to take extra steps to turn
     everything on.  While this may seem like forcing users to jump
     through pointless hoops to some, to many others this is a
     lifesaving security enhancement and foot-shooting avoidance
     measure.

   * We don't necessarily want to assume that you are using Apache as
     your webserver.  Apache is great, but there are alternative HTTP
     servers in the ports which can leave it in the dust in terms of
     performance.

   * Even if you are using Apache, we don't necessarily want to assume
     that a 'one size fits all' configuration is going to be right for
     you.  Having to grovel through a maze of twisty little apache
     configuration snippets (all alike) in order to undo some well
     meaning but ultimately wrong settings gets old really quickly.
     Especially if you have to do it again every time some related port
     gets updated.

It's a philosophical difference between *BSD and much of the rest of the
world: we think computers are there to do what the *admin* in charge
tells them to do, no more and no less.  Consequently we expect to take
pains to tell them exactly what we want.

Having said all that, many web applications will display a pkg-message
on installation with hints about how to configure Apache.  You can
display these messages again by:

    % pkg_info -Dx portname

There are also frequently instructions in various documentation
installed under /usr/local/share.  Most web apps generally want some
combination of aliases to map the application directory into the web
tree at an appropriate URL, plus a <Directory> or <Location> block (or
several) to set options, access controls, basic auth password and so
forth.  Given a little practice such setups are not particularly hard to
write, and there are a lot of people on this list who would be happy to
help with any specific problems.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

- --