dspam install

David DEMELIER demelier.david at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 07:46:06 UTC 2010

2010/7/13 Sahil Tandon <sahil at freebsd.org>:
> On Mon, 2010-07-12 at 21:28:56 +0200, David DEMELIER wrote:
>
>> .if defined(WITH_MYSQL)
>> WANT_MYSQL_VER= 55 ...
>> .endif
>>
>> Then if the user wants a different version he still can change using :
>> WITH_MYSQL_VER= 44.
>
> That change by itself will not work because in bsd.database.mk:
>
>  .if defined(WITH_MYSQL_VER) && ${WITH_MYSQL_VER} != ${WANT_MYSQL_VER}
>  IGNORE= ...

Then, explain me why do both php5 and php5-pgsql have not
KNOBS/OPTIONS like dspam and work with this variable WITH_PGSQL_VER ?

$ pwd
/usr/ports/databases/php5-pgsql
$ WITH_PGSQL_VER=83 make all-depends-list
/usr/ports/lang/php5
[...]
/usr/ports/databases/postgresql83-client
[...]
$ WITH_PGSQL_VER=84 make all-depends-list
/usr/ports/lang/php5
[...]
/usr/ports/databases/postgresql84-client
[...]

>> Why don't keep it simple and simple?
>
> I am not sure what you mean.  Complexity is not a goal of the project.
> If you have an idea that does not forfeit existing functionality or
> violate POLA, please submit it as a patch.
>
>> And why don't use things how they should be used?
>
> Once again, I am confused by your question.  Please clarify your
> meaning.

Because I meant, if someone made these KNOBS, that's would suppose
they should be used. As shown just above it works with php5-pgsql.

So if a variable could be used to specify a specific version, it must
be used instead of a couple of option that set the package version. I
think WITH_MYSQL_VER and WITH_PGSQL_VER were made for that. (There is
one for apache too)

>> I think there is still a lot of problems in many ports.
>
> I think we all agree that there is room for improvement.  Since you have
> identified many problems, I look forward to your PRs.
>
>> We must make a big KISS cleanup in the ports tree to make it as good
>> as NetBSD' pkgsrc.
>
> Please send PRs or provide specific details; general comments like the
> above are not helpful.

Yes sometime I'm nasty with people, I'm sorry about that but when I
saw this port I just didn't understand.

I apologize for my english.

--
Demelier David