dspam install

Sahil Tandon sahil at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jul 13 22:28:43 UTC 2010

[mail/dspam maintainer Cc:'d]

On Tue, 2010-07-13 at 09:46:04 +0200, David DEMELIER wrote:

> 2010/7/13 Sahil Tandon <sahil at freebsd.org>:
> > On Mon, 2010-07-12 at 21:28:56 +0200, David DEMELIER wrote:
> >
> >> .if defined(WITH_MYSQL)
> >> WANT_MYSQL_VER= 55 ...
> >> .endif
> >>
> >> Then if the user wants a different version he still can change using :
> >> WITH_MYSQL_VER= 44.
> >
> > That change by itself will not work because in bsd.database.mk:
> >
> >  .if defined(WITH_MYSQL_VER) && ${WITH_MYSQL_VER} != ${WANT_MYSQL_VER}
> >  IGNORE= ...
>
> Then, explain me why do both php5 and php5-pgsql have not
> KNOBS/OPTIONS like dspam and work with this variable WITH_PGSQL_VER ?

This is a good opportunity for you to learn about how the ports system
works.  Compare the contents of both ports and also review
bsd.database.mk; if, after that, you still do not understand the current
behavior, let us know.

> Because I meant, if someone made these KNOBS, that's would suppose
> they should be used. As shown just above it works with php5-pgsql.
>
> So if a variable could be used to specify a specific version, it must
> be used instead of a couple of option that set the package version. I
> think WITH_MYSQL_VER and WITH_PGSQL_VER were made for that. (There is
> one for apache too)

I appreciate your frustration, but please realize that there are often
many ways to accomplish the same task.  Trade-offs are involved. If you
believe a port can be improved, please (and now I'm repeating myself)
submit a patch!  If you are unable to create a patch, then clearly
explain your idea in pseudo-code and submit it as a PR for the
maintainer's consideration.  If you have trouble creating a patch, also
feel free to ping me off-list; I'm happy to work with you on this.

> >> We must make a big KISS cleanup in the ports tree to make it as good
> >> as NetBSD' pkgsrc.
> >
> > Please send PRs or provide specific details; general comments like the
> > above are not helpful.
>
> Yes sometime I'm nasty with people, I'm sorry about that but when I
> saw this port I just didn't understand.

What did you not understand?

> I apologize for my english.

No apology needed, as that is not the problem here.

--
Sahil Tandon <sahil at FreeBSD.org>