Bluefish 2.0.0 released!

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Fri Feb 26 10:27:45 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 12:59:00PM -0800, Charlie Kester wrote:
> On Thu 25 Feb 2010 at 12:17:59 PST simpriv at gmail.com wrote:
> >News 2010 - February 15 - Bluefish 2.0.0 released!
> >
> >I can't find it in the latest ports collection.
>
> Others have explained how to contact the maintainer of a port, and how
> to determine that it has no maintainer.
>
> But perhaps some expectation-setting is needed here.
>
> Bluefish 2.0.0 was released a mere ten days ago.  Before it will appear
> in the ports collection, two things have to happen.
>
> First the maintainer must modify the port as needed to get it to compile
> on FreeBSD.  Sometimes that's trivially simple, sometimes it's
> diabolically complex.  If the port is depended upon by others, for
> example, there might be a need to coordinate the update with them.  So
> it's not unusual for the maintainer's part of the porting process to
> take several days or even weeks.

That's true - and yes, there are port updates that take weeks sometimes.
(although, well, some of *my* updates in the past have been known to
 take weeks for other reasons, not just the review and technical work)

> Second, after the maintainer has submitted a PR with the update, the
> committers need to test it. That takes time.  Also, judging by what I
> can see in the list of currently-open PR's, many committers always have
> a dozen or more in process.  It's not uncommon (or unreasonable) that
> this part of the porting process will take several days or even weeks in
> addition to the time the maintainer needed.

Well, in this particular case, the maintainer of www/bluefish is
a FreeBSD committer himself, so this part might take a bit less time :)
But in general, it's true enough.

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam at ringlet.net    roam at space.bg    roam at FreeBSD.org
Key fingerprint	2EE7 A7A5 17FC 124C F115  C354 651E EFB0 2527 DF13