Bluefish 2.0.0 released!

Charlie Kester corky1951 at comcast.net
Thu Feb 25 20:59:04 UTC 2010

On Thu 25 Feb 2010 at 12:17:59 PST simpriv at gmail.com wrote:
>News 2010 - February 15 - Bluefish 2.0.0 released!
>
>I can't find it in the latest ports collection.

Others have explained how to contact the maintainer of a port, and how
to determine that it has no maintainer.

But perhaps some expectation-setting is needed here.

Bluefish 2.0.0 was released a mere ten days ago.  Before it will appear
in the ports collection, two things have to happen.

First the maintainer must modify the port as needed to get it to compile
on FreeBSD.  Sometimes that's trivially simple, sometimes it's
diabolically complex.  If the port is depended upon by others, for
example, there might be a need to coordinate the update with them.  So
it's not unusual for the maintainer's part of the porting process to
take several days or even weeks.

Second, after the maintainer has submitted a PR with the update, the
committers need to test it. That takes time.  Also, judging by what I
can see in the list of currently-open PR's, many committers always have
a dozen or more in process.  It's not uncommon (or unreasonable) that
this part of the porting process will take several days or even weeks in
addition to the time the maintainer needed.