what next for the pkg_install rewrite

Julien Laffaye jlaffaye at freebsd.org
Thu Aug 19 16:26:58 UTC 2010

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 4:38 PM, Bapt <bapt at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Now that GSoC is over a lot of good work has been done on pkg_install.
>
> I think it would be great to organize the way the on going work on
> pkg_install
> will be done, for that purpose we need someone to officially manage the
> work, to
> validate what will be implemented/cleanup, and distribute the work among
> volunteers.
>
> I think this is the best way for a new pkg_install really appear.
>
> I'd like to contribute to the work on pkg_install, and would like to
> help cocordinate the effort to prevent reinventing the wheel, and to be
> ensure the code is consistent etc.
>
> I know there are many like minded people out there who might like to help,
> please identify
> yourself, either publicly or privately so we can put together a team to
> find a pkg_install
> replacement.

Hello,

I agree: we need to create a task force to work on pkg_install and thus
create a dynamic.
The very first step of such a team will be to brainstorm: what do we want to
achieve? what can be improved?

There are a lot of areas of potential discussions: packing list format,
local database format, ...
In my opinion, trying to be 100% compatible with the actual tools will slow
down the project. I am thinking, for example, about the slave/master modes
which made sense when we used a temporary directory, but less if we want to
extract the files to their final destination via libarchive.

Then, this specification will need to be approved by portmgr@ so the actual
coding can start!

Best regards,
Julien