feature request for portmaster: check for permissions on --check-depends and friends

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Mon Apr 26 04:55:57 UTC 2010

On 04/25/10 12:03, Eitan Adler wrote:
> When I run portmaster with --check-depends or --check-port-dbdir  as a
> non-root user portmaster will continue to attempt to write to the db
> dir.
> For example
> ===>>> Checking jpeg-8_1
> 	===>>> Updating +REQUIRED_BY
> install: /var/db/pkg/jpeg-8_1/+REQUIRED_BY: Permission denied
>
> portmaster should check before it goes through the whole process and
> see if it has write access to /var/db/ports.

I'm sort of ambivalent about this. For the most part I would imagine
that users would either anticipate this issue and run it as root or set
up PM_SU_CMD. OTOH, I could imagine users might want to do things like
this that require root access to actually change things as a regular
user first as a painless way to see what would happen if they ran the
command as root.

This is the first time this issue has come up, what do others think?

Doug

			-- Propellerheads