lsof won't build

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-ports-local at be-well.ilk.org
Sun Sep 20 17:45:10 UTC 2009

Robert Huff <roberthuff at rcn.com> writes:

> Lowell Gilbert writes:
>
>>  >>  Are you saying you rebuilt kernel and lsof built fine afterwards?
>>
>>  Right.  lsof needs to look at kernel structures, so it has to be
>>  built from the same headers that the kernel was, or it won't know
>>  how to interpret the data it retrieves.
>
> 	And it finds those not in /usr/include - which, as I understand
> things, will in a correctly configured system definitionally match
> what's in the running kernel - but in /usr/src, for which such an
> expectation is wobbly?

It seems to me (fairly short investigation) that it uses kernel
structures that aren't in /usr/include.  That means it must be looking
in /usr/src/sys.  If those sources don't match the installed kernel
exactly, that typically won't be a problem, because kernel interfaces
are intended to not change within a major-number release.