Migration to new SourceForge URL scheme part 2, SFE and some statistics

Dmitry Marakasov amdmi3 at amdmi3.ru
Wed Sep 2 16:26:45 UTC 2009

* Paul Schmehl (pschmehl_lists at tx.rr.com) wrote:

> > In my case, over a few retries, switch is the fastest, followed by
> > surfnet. heatnet is only somewhere between 500-700K.
> > dfn, garr: and ovh fail.
>
> It might be way too much work for very little benefit, but network latencies
> being what they are, perhaps there should be a routine that runs periodically
> and adjusts the list according to some connectivity parameters?  (Yeah, I know,
> easy for me to say.  I don't have to write the code.)

That's really too much work for a little benefit. The only thing
we really want from mirrors is fetchability, and as soon as we have
multiple mirrors that's achieved. Speed is a different issue and,
as my survey shows, mirrors can't be sorted once and forever to
satisfy the whole world, so if you feel like downloads are slow,
just add your favorte mirror into make.conf, like I did a long time
ago. The utility to do it automatically would be useful though, and
actually you can write one. Actually, something even more clever
could be written, similar to RANDOMIZE_MASTER_SITES, but based on
fetch speed feedback, but that'd be an overcomplication if you ask me.

--
Dmitry Marakasov   .   55B5 0596 FF1E 8D84 5F56  9510 D35A 80DD F9D2 F77D
amdmi3 at amdmi3.ru  ..:  jabber: amdmi3 at jabber.ru    http://www.amdmi3.ru