FreeBSD Port: qtcreator-1.2.1: Not installable

Gary Jennejohn gary.jennejohn at freenet.de
Wed Oct 28 13:24:22 UTC 2009

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 13:56:25 +0100
Adrian Glaubitz <adrian.glaubitz at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 1:46 PM, Gary Jennejohn
> <gary.jennejohn at freenet.de> wrote:
> > The qtcreator port was created on May 7, 2009. Seems to me that 7.2R
> > is older than that. Obviously, qtcreator can't exist for 7.2R if the
> > port didn't exist when it was released.
>
> Well, ok. Seems another case of "different systems, different
> philosophies" here for me.
>
> My idea was that I was downloading the latest STABLE release of
> FreeBSD and I assumed that the ports directory always applies to the
> current STABLE version, noone should use a development version for
> daily use, should one.
>
> Besides, the ports website doesn't list at all what versions of
> FreeBSD include this port as opposed to Debian, for example; I don't
> want to start a flamewar though. It's not really user-friendly, is it.
>
> I guess the minimum for my project will be FreeBSD 8.0 then.

Here's the URI you specified:
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-7.2-release/Latest/qtcreator.tbz
                                                          ^^^^^^^

release != stable

The ports tree changes very quickly.  Ports binaries for releases are created
from a snapshot of the ports tree at the time of the release.  Anything else
is basically impossible.

---
Gary Jennejohn