mplayer-plugin and Firefox 3.5

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Wed Oct 14 08:43:28 UTC 2009

Jacob Myers wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there any way to get www/mplayer-plugin working with Firefox 3.5
> without requiring Firefox 2? I don't see a reason it should depend on
> Firefox 2, seeing as it works just fine with Firefox 3.5 on Linux.

Yes.  Add this to /etc/make.conf:

WITH_GECKO=     libxul

and then recompile mplayer-plugin and probably any other plugins you
have installed.  You might need to recompile Firefox too.

This setting is destined to become the default according to the recently
published progress report from the Gecko Project team
(http://www.freebsd.org/news/status/report-2009-04-2009-09.html), but
I can confirm that it has been working for me for several months.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3
                                                  Kent, CT11 9PW