PackageKit Ports

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at FreeBSD.org
Mon Oct 5 16:06:50 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-10-05 at 09:06 +0200, Anders F Björklund wrote:
> I've backported the PackageKit 0.5.x backend to 0.4.x,
> and made some ports for it and the GNOME/KDE frontends.
>
> As described earlier, it uses portupgrade and portaudit
> and compiles binary packages from source ports if needed.
>
> http://afb.users.sourceforge.net/packagekit/
>
> Hopefully this will go into PackageKit 0.4.10, for use
> while waiting for required PolicyKit/DeviceKit support.
>
> Besides some (unused) differences in API, the backend is
> identical to the one in the latest PackageKit (0.5.2).
>
> Feedback appreciated, maintainer didn't respond.

Which maintainer?  I'm quite excited about this work.  We have the
latest PolicyKit coming with GNOME 2.28 (once 8.0 is out the door).
DeviceKit will probably never happen on FreeBSD.  DK-power will be
coming with GNOME 2.30, however.  What kind of DK support does
PackageKit require?

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team      ::      gnome at FreeBSD.org