security/gnupg installing pth-2.0.7 causing problems

David Southwell david at vizion2000.net
Fri Nov 13 09:38:03 UTC 2009

> 2009/11/9 David Southwell <david at vizion2000.net>:
> >> 2009/11/8 David Southwell <david at vizion2000.net>:
> >
> > What puzzles me is why the gnupg maintainer is sooooooooo reluctant to
> > provide alternative options to using pth when there are both system
> > libraries and libpthread-stubs-0.1 available as an alternative.
> >  Dependencuy upon libpthread-stubs-0.1 enables gnupg to function without
> > causing unnecessary problems. My understand is the pth was written for
> > those systems which do not have alternative  libraries for handling
> > threads.
>
> My understanding is, stock gnupg dist depends on pth (even if
> described as optional).
>
> It seems using libpthread-stubs needs to modify configure script.  Do you
>  have a patch for this?

I am not experienced at creating the scripts and am not confident in that
area. My focus is on building and testing as many ports as possible and
reporting problems!!!

The way I tackle the gnupg problem on my running systems is when gnupg is
built I immediately delete pth and replace gnupg's dependency. However I get
caught out when gnupg gets upgraded on systems during a portupgrade -a run and
other ports become comprised due to the presence of pth!! It then takes a lot
of effort to sort out resultant difficulties. On one occasion I had to
completely rebuild all python ports and those dependent upon it. At first it
seemed as though the problems were due to a screwed up python installation --
but the problems came from pth!

I would appreciate it if someone were able to produce an appropriate patch for
this!!

Thanks in advance