portsnap can't access portsnap[124].freebsd.org

John Marshall john.marshall at riverwillow.com.au
Sat May 30 11:21:10 UTC 2009

On Sat, 30 May 2009, 05:39 -0500, Scott Bennett wrote:
>      Thanks for that much, then, Glen.  So we still don't know what is wrong.
> I did try it again around midnight CDT, and it still failed the same way.
>      In the meantime, my frustration and impatience got the better of me, and
> I touched up a copy of ports-supfile and csupped it.  I also used portinstall,
> which was there because I had selected it as a package during the 7.2-RELEASE
> installation, to install portmaster, which is now running the builds.
>      Nevertheless, I'd still rather switch back to portsnap ASAP after this,
> so I'm still hoping someone has an idea what's wrong with portsnap or the
> systems at freebsd.org.

Have you excluded local factors (proxy servers, firewalls)?  I have not
seen any issues at all with portsnap.  I have done a few fetches today
and haven't seen any problems at all.  This one a few minutes ago
happened to hit portsnap2.  I noticed that one of the earlier ones today
was from portsnap1.

  # portsnap fetch
  Looking up portsnap.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 3 mirrors found.
  Fetching snapshot tag from portsnap2.FreeBSD.org... done.
  Fetching snapshot metadata... done.
  Updating from Sat May 30 12:58:09 AEST 2009 to Sat May 30 18:57:34 AEST 2009.
  Fetching 3 metadata patches.. done.
  Applying metadata patches... done.
  Fetching 0 metadata files... done.
  Fetching 3 patches.. done.