portsnap can't access portsnap[124].freebsd.org

Scott Bennett bennett at cs.niu.edu
Sat May 30 10:40:00 UTC 2009

     On Sat, 30 May 2009 05:32:39 -0400 Glen Barber <glen.j.barber at gmail.com>
wrote:
>On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 12:48 AM, Scott Bennett <bennett at cs.niu.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>>Can you paste the 'ANSWER SECTON' from:
>>>
>>> =A0'dig portsnap2.freebsd.org'
>>>
>> =A0 =A0 Sure, but I'm curious to know why. =A0The names all do resolve to=
> A RRs,
>> and pings to each by name did get echos back. =A0Here it is, although I d=
>id
>> terminate the domain name by habit. =A0Surely portsnap must not be so sil=
>ly
>> as to pass unterminated names to the resolver. =A0(Actually, I'm includin=
>> the whole output, not just the answer section.)
>>

>To make sure it wasn't a DNS problem (or DNS poisoning / hijacking).
>

>> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
>> portsnap2.freebsd.org. =A03600 =A0 =A0IN =A0 =A0 =A0A =A0 =A0 =A0 72.21.5=
>9.250
>>

>Same output for me..

     Thanks for that much, then, Glen.  So we still don't know what is wrong.
I did try it again around midnight CDT, and it still failed the same way.
     In the meantime, my frustration and impatience got the better of me, and
I touched up a copy of ports-supfile and csupped it.  I also used portinstall,
which was there because I had selected it as a package during the 7.2-RELEASE
installation, to install portmaster, which is now running the builds.
     Nevertheless, I'd still rather switch back to portsnap ASAP after this,
so I'm still hoping someone has an idea what's wrong with portsnap or the
systems at freebsd.org.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG