Stop in /usr/ports/lang/gcc43

Dan Allen danallen46 at airwired.net
Sat Jun 13 21:40:15 UTC 2009

I am trying to upgrade Ruby, and build Firefox 3.0.11, and they both
want to build gcc43 because of gfortran.  Really?  Firefox needs
gfortran to build?  I bet not.

Anyway, when they try and build gcc43 (of May 31st) on my system, I
get into an infinite loop by the pkg system saying that gcc43 requires
gfortran to build, that gfortran is not present... the script finally
dies.

This happens even if I simply do this:

	cd /usr/ports/lang/gcc43
	make

It dies there too.  So now I cannot upgrade firefox, noway, nohow.

Interestingly enough I have gcc44 (with gfortran44!) on the system but
these dependencies do not consider that a substitute.

I have cvsup'd the ports trees, done portsdb -uF, pkgdb -F, and
portupgrade -ar a billion times.  It does not help.  Everything was
fine yesterday, Jun 12th for me.  The change came in with Firefox
3.0.11 and some /usr/ports/devel/nspr package that Firefox needs.

Something is messed up in the dependencies.

Dan Allen