Dovecot Sieve port switched from CMU Sieve to Dovecot

Yarema yds at CoolRat.org
Fri Aug 28 19:19:40 UTC 2009

Wesley Shields wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 01:06:23PM -0400, Yarema wrote:
>> Wesley Shields wrote:

>>> I'm now back from traveling for $JOB so if someone wants to provide me
>>> with text for UPDATING I will be happy to commit it.
>>>
>>> -- WXS
>> Wesley,
>>
>> Something along the lines of the note you used for the dovecot port:
>>
>> AFFECTS: users of mail/dovecot and mail/dovecot-sieve
>>
>> dovecot-sieve has been updated to a new implementation compatible with
>>   dovecot 1.2.x.  For details of what this means please see:
>> http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Sieve/Dovecot#Migration_from_CMUSieve
>
> I've just committed this text. My apologies on not getting it in with
> the PR but it was unclear to me (as I don't use the sieve port) that
> this was necessary.
>
> In the future, please point these things out very clearly in the PR. If
> you did that and I missed it then I apologize - maybe I should get new
> glasses? :)
>
>> P.S. Wesley, many thanks for always grabbing the dovecot* PRs and
>> getting them in.
>
> Your welcome! Thank you for your continued hard work on these ports.

Wesley,

While this is still fresh, the note you added to mail/dovecot/Makefile
is accurate:

# Please be careful when updating this port as changes to this port  #
# can break mail/dovecot-sieve and mail/dovecot-managesieve. In      #
# order to ensure the least amount of breakage possible please       #
# consult the maintainer of those ports before updating this one.    #

However this sort of breakage happens when jumping from 1.0 -> 1.1 or
1.1 -> 1.2 and this doesn't happen often.  It's unlikely we'll need to
heed this warning until dovecot 2.0 comes out.  What I see happening far
more often is folks filing PRs without enabling ManageSieve in the main
dovecot port.  Then the PR ends up not including the distinfo for the
ManageSieve patch.

I was previously overruled by a committer when I filed a PR to default
ManageSieve to ON.  IIRC, POLA was sited as the reason.  I'm still of
the opinion that the ManageSieve patch to the main dovecot port should
default to ON for the following reasons:

- with the ManageSieve patch built into the package it becomes possible
for users of binary packages to just install the dovecot-sieve and
dovecot-managesieve ports and have them work.  As it stands now anyone
who wants to use ManageSieve has to build the dovecot port from source.
  So it doesn't even make sense to have a binary package of
dovecot-managesieve unless the ManageSieve patch is built into the
dovecot package by default as well.

- the ManageSieve patch does not add much bulk to the package.  Those
who do not use ManageSieve can simply ignore it or if they build from
source can disable it.  Either way from the perspective of those who do
not use ManageSieve nothing really changes (thus POLA is not violated).

- and finally there would be fewer broken PRs filed without the distinfo
for the ManageSieve patch included.

In my opinion it seems not having the binary dovecot-managesieve package
"just work" is more of a POLA violation than having an extra
README.managesieve and related dovecot.conf sections installed by
default in the main dovecot port.

--
Yarema