recent update causes perl5.10 build failure

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Mon Aug 3 19:24:18 UTC 2009

Scott Bennett wrote:
>      An update yesterday or today results in perl5.10's build aborting.  When
> it failed under portmaster, the messages from several processes were too
> jumbled for me to see easily what had happened, so I tried portinstall instead.

If you get a non-obvious port build failure in portmaster your next
step should be to try just building the port itself without any tools
(i.e., cd /usr/ports/foo/bar ; make clean ; make). That will give you
the idea of whether or not the error is related to the tool, or the
port itself.

>      At least on a first look, it seems that perl5.10 has "MAKE_JOBS_SAFE= yes"
> in its Makefile, but that it should not.  I changed that to
> "MAKE_JOBS_SAFE= no"

The ports infrastructure does not care what the value of the define
is, it just cares if it is defined. You need to do this:

cd /usr/ports/lang/perl5.10
vi Makefile (replace the MAKE_JOBS_SAFE with MAKE_JOBS_UNSAFE)
make clean
make config
make

Then report your results.