Adding comment to UPDATING file

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sat Apr 4 06:49:14 PDT 2009

Jerry wrote:
> On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 13:46:11 +0100
> Matthew Seaman <m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk> wrote:

>> I find it's also a good idea to add a warning about such things to
>> any pkg_message printed out at install time.
>
> Thanks! I was considering the pkg_message idea; however, users of
> Portupgrade or other port maintenance tools often do not see the
> messages printed out out the end of the installation. I will be
> including a message though.

portmaster saves up all the pkg_messages and displays them at the end
of the update session.  I believe moves are afoot to add similar behaviour
to some other ports management tools.

Also:

   pkg_info -Dx portname

is a command that should be more widely known and used.

> Maybe they should add an addendum to the Porter's Handbook
> describing that.

If you send an e-mail to freebsd-doc at ... or send-pr with some suggested text,
it or something similar is fairly likely to be incorporated.  Even better if
you send a patch against the Docbook sources, but on the whole just having
some suggested text to work with is acceptable.  Although right now is maybe
not the best time as I think the docs slush preparatory to 7.2-RELEASE is
imminent, if not already here...

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3